Unfortunately that probably just about completes the list of things I love about silverlight. Because with its slightly different and vastly reduced framework it also brings a lot of nuisances. These are noticeable in the controls, libraries (or lack thereof) and general functionality. Here are a few of the most recent/common issues I have come across:
Text boxesThere are a few problems with text boxes, but only one I shall mention here. Ever try setting up an autoselect text in Silverlight? Yes, you'll notice you don't have an option or property to do this. This to me is a massive gaping hole, because it's one of the very first things I write or implement every time I write a new Silverlight page with text fields. A really neat way around this is to create new behaviour for yourself and enable it via a property on the Silverlight page. Effectively all this behaviour needs to do is capture the focus event in the background and select all text upon entry
Combo boxes.There are several annoying issues with Silverlight combo boxes. Firstly, have you ever tried to use a combo box in a really height restricted Silverlight page? It's just not at all viable and is something I have hit a few times in MS Dynamics CRM. If you need to develop a small web resource for a form that will contain a combo box you'll find it won't work, because your "frame" or area of use is restricted to the size of the Silverlight control, a bit like flash I guess. So even if your page is huge this is the sort of behaviour you'll notice happening on a combo box similar to the "Cars" combo box on my form:
See how we just have a little slither of a line above "Ford"? Well that's the blank row. This is incredibly annoying, but thankfully there's a quick but slightly dirty way to get around this, instead of using an empty string add a space to the string and suddenly it display it correctly.
Another nuisance of combo boxes is the direction the item list renders. Because of the first problem with Silverlight not being able to use the space outside of the control's frame it needs to be clever in which direction, up or down, the item list is rendered. This behaviour works fine first time around, as in the item list will render upwards if there is more room in that direction. But after that first time you've used the combo box it all goes a bit pear shaped:
(Yes, I notice "Aston" has a fantastic spelling fail... but I really can't be bothered to update the screen shot!)
There are a few ways to fix this, but the 2 best solutions, in my opinion, are
- Instead of binding to custom objects create ComboBoxItems and bind your combo box to a collection of those instead. (The Silverlight bug only rears its head when bound to custom objects)
- Create your own combo box template with the correct behaviour (can't believe I just wrote that!)
There are more combo box nuisances but these for me are the worst. Apart from the first one, which is more of a limitation, those second 2 are bugs that should never have made it to the public community.
Silverlight, JSON and dynamic types
Assembly Library Caching
I don't have an issue with this actual concept, more of how it was implemented. It's quite common that you'll share XAPs between Silverlight pages and controls, such as images for example. So to reduce XAP sizes there is no real point including these in every single XAP file. If we split them up we can make use of caching and speed up our overall download times. The issue here is how this works in conjunction with MS Dynamics CRM (I haven't chosen which framework I will blame yet...). When you enable this in the project properties it splits up the relevant files into ZIP files (not XAP files). This is a royal pain in the buttocks, because you cannot upload ZIP files to MS Dynamics CRM. I have never bothered getting around this, but I'm guessing you could unzip the main XAP file, open up the AppManifest file, change the references to XAP instead of ZIP, and repack the XAP file again. Also you'd need to ensure you rename your other resources to XAP instead of ZIP. Unfortunately you would have to do this after every build, so you might have to write a post build script rather than performing it as a manual task. I haven't tested this yet either, but I'm fairly sure it would work fine once put in place.
Exposing browser error messages
Ever get that infamous error "The remote server returned an error: NotFound"? This is basically Silverlight telling you "something screwed up, but I have no idea what it was". To get your hands on the error messages you need to perform some registering on application start up:
This will get you better error messages, but has a massive drawback. If you're making a lot of simultaneous asynchronous calls your browser will now frequently crash. I'm not sure what it's doing behind the scenes here, but neither Silverlight or your browser seem to like it. 99% of the time I find myself removing that line and accepting rubbish error messages.
I could go on...
... but I won't. I'm sure not the first person who's come up with a list like this and I'm guessing I won't be the last.
So, my conclusion out of all of this is let's all admit that Silverlight was a nicety at the time, and we all enjoyed it to begin with. But in reality, HTML wins yet again, so can we please just let it die with dignity. Yes, it's easier to throw together a UI in Silverlight, but once you start binding that baby together, setting up all of those models and viewmodels and have gone through about 4 iterations of async callback hell and rewriting missing feature/property helpers, you'd have written 80% / 90% of the exact same thing in HTML5 and JQuery. Also, what with Silverlight not seeing any more upgrades after 5 I envisage a framework that will retain these bugs for some time yet. So for me it's time to drop the Silverlight baton (yet again!) and push HTML5 where ever I go.